Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Traffic

It's everywhere these days. On the roads, at work, in my noggin. It all serves to give me the impression I'm traveling through life with my foot on the brake. From the ocean of red in front of me, everyone else seems to be doing the same thing. It's like we are all on this wonderful superhighway at 4 mph and no one seems to know why.

Every once in a while I see something so extraordinarily free from traffic. It reminds me that even when the roads are closed there are still trails to follow around them; that other people have looked at that same ocean of red and refused to follow along; not afraid to ask the questions that need to be asked. These wonderful souls try the improbable, things they know they shouldn't, even the impossible; they try anyway because to live otherwise is not an option.

What's really stopping us from putting our foot on the accelerator? Or why can't we all just have personal helicopters? Submarines? I think we can all agree that these are things that would rock. For now I will follow my slightest whim and see where it takes me. Random acts of harmless silliness, but unlimited possibility, they remind us we are alive.

No comments: