Sunday, December 2, 2007

Social Darwinism

I hadn't heard that term in a conversation until last night. Well maybe once before. I guess I'm still learning the lingo for all this stuff. I guess it's the idea is that Darwin's law of natural selection, survival of the fittest, can be extended to include society.

This is all making me very tired. I'm sure there are a lot of interesting points to be made, but I also recognize the value in wasting my time making them. Placing a toe in the crucible of politics has given me an infinitely greater admiration for poetry, music, brewing and art. In these things lie the hearts of the honest. By challenging the wicked, twisted world of politics, your adversaries assume you are playing by the same rules. I do not have the patience and desire to be mocked and ridiculed for decades like Ghandi or the Honorable Ron Paul. When the war is waged, it is so devastatingly easy to sacrifice principle for politics. Besides, if I really felt strongly about something, I'd compose a kazoo arrangement about it or something.

Maybe Social Darwinism has got the best of me. Love for the advancement of sincerity is still placing your trust in another imperfect human representative (and the one with the most reason to disdain that awful gauntlet). Has the system won when well-meaning people (regardless of orientation) are so terrified of politics that none of them choose to enter? It's just that when the guy holding up the Constitution is the one people are throwing sticks at...aaagh..there I go again. Save me from myself. Oh Hillary, Barak, Giuliani - save me from myself I know nothing compared to you NOTHING. Take my paycheck away. No, no, no. stopitstopitstopit. LIE TO ME AND TELL ME IT'S OKAY LALALALA!

Anyway. Maybe life is politics. Maybe the conversation is intended to continue indefinitely. Maybe a conscientious person is taking the noble route when they open themselves up to attack. I'm not directing this to anyone in particular. I'm just lazy tonight. Letting the fingers roll. I do enjoy being lied to occasionally. Tell me I'm sane. I will not believe you, but I enjoy it.

No comments: